Carl's Gear Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Plexitone

4 posters

Go down

The Plexitone Empty The Plexitone

Post  Michi Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:14 pm

Hiya, newbie here with a somewhat stoopid question: would the Plexitone work as a preamp in front of a poweramp like the Marshall EL34? What do you guys think?

And to take the idea a bit further, with a multifx unit, Boss GT or something in that vein and the Plexi, what suggestions would you have with that set up, if any?

Thanx a lot in advance!

Cheers, Michi

Michi

Back to top Go down

The Plexitone Empty Re: The Plexitone

Post  Admin Carl Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi...
It is not a preamp, it is a standalone overdrive, that actually needs the preamp of the amp to work proper.

Admin Carl
Admin

https://carlmartin.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

The Plexitone Empty The Plexitone

Post  REUBSTER Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:18 am

Hi Michi

The plexitone is a great sounding pedal and really does give an amp that plexi vibe.
Thing is, I reckon it gives its best when used on amps that dont use EL34 tubes.
EL34 tubes tend to open up and throw out beautiful midrange tones when pushed.
By contrast, 6L6 [Fender Twin etc] tubes tend to compress.
This pedal adds that open-midrangeness
If you are trying to get a 6l6 amp to sound like an older Marshall, this pedal is awesome and it really NAILS the open/mid EL34 tones.

Sometimes I use it directly into the poweramp in on my Peavey MXVTX [6L6 O/P stage] and it works magnificantly.

It sounds good in my 66' JTM45 Marshall too, particularilly at low volumes, but when the Marshall is cranked I prefer more closed/compressed sounding pedals.

REUBSTER

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Carl Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:16 am

Eh....
No midrange in EL-34?
That is a new one Cool

Admin Carl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CrippleHorse Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:27 am

Hi, dear guitar geeks, I'd like to ask a simple a question which (I hope) can be given a simple answer

I'm european and am thinking of buying the plexitone, probably from a US shop. In any case, I'll probably have to use it in both continents and thus different voltages, and here's the probable problem.
Is there any way that the same power supply that's internal to the pedal can handle both voltages and works with 100 or 115 or 230 volts or are there different versions for the two continents and you have to buy from Europe if you're gonna play it there so that you can plug it in a 230 V socket without blowing it up?
Cause that's what I read in a review, however the manual at carlmartin.com says "power: 100 or 115 or 230 VAC 50-60Hz" as if it means that the same pedal can handle all voltages. I'd appreciate any help.

CrippleHorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Carl Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:48 pm

You need to change the powersupply, and that will cost you hours and the actual part, plus shipping.
Guess the cost savings will be gone by that point.
Regards Niels

Admin Carl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down